The article unfortunately is a bit shallow though some discussion is better than nothing. Fundamental improvements are needed, quickly, among other things, in:
- Giving Boards access to information and to company personnel that isn't controlled by management;
- Board members not being hand picked by senior management and more representative of all shareholder/stakeholder interests;
- Making the views of dissenting Directors known to shareholders/stakeholders;
- Boards and other Advisers including Accountants and Legal Counsel to work closer together, frequently independent of management;
- The above will likely involve each Board member spending more time on these responsibilities so a discussion of appropriate compensation would also be necessary.
This is only a partial list but will set the ball rolling in the right direction. The creative use of modern technology should also make implementation a lot more practical.